HAMBURG – At the online conference “Sensory Science Update” on 31 March 2022 (held in English), there will be given an overview of the latest findings and studies from the wide-ranging field of sensory – straight from the laboratory to avirtual stage. The programme includes seven exciting lectures that scientifically highlight the sensory perception of coffee from the bean to the cup.
The Sensory Science Update events
“Multisensory perception of coffee”, Prof. Dr. Jessica Freiherr (Fraunhofer-Institut für Verfahrenstechnik und Verpackung IVV)
It comprends the topics:
- How do people perceive coffee in its sensory entirety?
- What physiological reactions to the smells of coffee can be measured?
- Does the smell of coffee alone make us more attentive and concentrated?
“The sensory relevance of grinding technology”, Timo Keimer (HEMRO GROUP) will be answering the questions:
- Why is coffee grinding important for taste?
- How does burr geometry influence grinding and taste?
- Can you design burrs for taste?
“Why water can make or break your coffee”, Alan Lama (Brita Group) talking about the following topics:
- Explaining the three main sensory dimensions of water.
- The impact of hard water on coffee flavor.
- Reasons why a balanced mineralization composition enhance the flavor of coffee.
“Online coffee learning with practical assessment: A study of roast defects and staling of coffee”, Dr. Samo Smrke (ZHAW Life Sciences and Facility Management)
“The New Wave in Specialty Coffee and its Implications on the SCA Sensory Cupping Protocol”, Joachim Kühne (SCA Germany)
“Sensory and Chemical Underpinnings of Coffee Body”, Dr. Christopher T. Simons (Ohio State University). Its main topics will be:
- What sensory sub-qualities contribute to coffee body?
- Why might small molecules found in coffee contribute to these sub-qualities?
- What compounds have been identified that contribute to these sub-qualities?
“Will AI enabled prediction of sensory quality in green coffee beans catalyze a digital revolution in Coffee?”, Felipe Ayerbe & William Vinck (Demetria). Demetria will focus on:
- Demetria technology: how it works, case studies.
- Our vision for the industry, the impact of full digital transparency and quality measurement and management.
- Critical issues addressed.
- How they are solved through Demetria solutions.
- Where are we in the voyage and how can you participate?
Here is the programme of the Virtual Conference Sensory Science Update
Registrations are possible until 30 March 2022 at the following link.