MILAN – The Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) announced the finalists for the 2022 Sustainability Awards, recognizing excellence in sustainability across the industry. The 2022 Sustainability Awards consist of three categories: Individual, Business Model, and Project, recognizing outstanding work in the field of sustainability, promoting sustainability within the coffee world while inspiring others to initiate similar endeavors.
The projects, business models, and people receiving these awards are not only dedicated to confronting the enormous challenges facing the specialty coffee industry—from climate change to gender inequality—but also collaborating across geographies, cultures, and value chain roles, and sharing the lessons they have learned for the benefit of the entire coffee sector.
After receiving 23 Project, 29 Business and 8 Individual submissions this year, a committee comprised of SCA staff has selected the finalists in each award category.
Previous SCA Sustainability Award winners will now help select the winner in each category. Winners will be announced on March 7, 2022, and recognized at Re:co Symposium, April 6-7, 2022.
The Finalists of the 2022 SCA Sustainability Awards (by category):
- Business Model
- Campesino Coffee
- Black Baza Coffee Co.
- Bellwether Coffee
- Goodel Indonesia
- Caravela Coffee
- The Government of Mozambique and The Carr Family Foundation – The Gorongosa Project, Mozambique
- Anacafé – CoffeeTechs Program, Guatemala
- Dominica Coffee – Dominica Coffee Revitalization Initiative (DCRI), Dominica
- Food 4 Farmers – SOPPEXCCA, Comepcafe and ASDENIC Initiatives, Nicaragua, Colombia, Guatemala
- Coffee Circle – Jimma Agro-Biodiversity Project, Ethiopia
- RGC, Solidaridad and Cadefihuila – Las Flores del Café, Colombia, Peru, Honduras
- Daniele Giovannucci, President, COSA (Committee on Sustainability Assessment)
- Phyllis Johnson, Founder and Chair of the Board, Coffee Coalition for Racial Equity, President and Cofounder, BD Imports
- David Browning, Chief Executive Officer, Enveritas
- Merling Preza, Co-founder and General Manager, PRODECOOP Cooperative
- Samuel Sihombing, Director, Poda Agro, Chair, Sidikalang Coffee Geographic Indication Council