NORTHLAKE, Texas, USA – Farmer Bros. Co. highlights its recently released 2021 Sustainability & Direct Trade Report. The report articulates the Company’s 2021 achievements and offers data supporting its continued commitment to leading the coffee industry in sustainable sourcing, production, and trading.
Farmer Brothers began its sustainability journey 10 years ago. Since then, the Company has made great strides in its key initiatives. Notably, the Company achieved significant milestones in 2021, including:
- Diverted 77% of waste away from landfills and achieved zero-waste status on 100% of the company’s roasting facilities each year since 2018
- Responsibly sourced 40.3% of our total coffee & remains on-track to achieve goal of 100% responsibly sourced coffee by 2025
- Increased train transportation to reduce our reliability on truck freight, resulting in 42% reduced overall truck mileage and 23% in fuel use savings
- Reduced need of new, raw materials; rescued & restored 1,450 units of beverage equipment from landfills; increased refurbished equipment demand from 3% in 2020 to 17%
- Partnered with 3,206 coffee growers & purchased 7.1 million pounds of green coffee through Project D.I.R.E.C.T. & Direct Trade relationships, supporting local communities
“For 110 years now, Farmer Brothers has risen to the occasion by taking action in the face of challenges, and 2021 was no different,” said Deverl Maserang, President & CEO. “The world is coming off a difficult couple of years and grounding ourselves in the concept of sustainability while continuing our efforts to fight Climate Change has kept our focus clear. We remain true to our guiding principles around service, quality, and corporate responsibility, and continue to build sustainable practices into the fabric of our organization while enforcing transparency throughout the supply chain. As a result of our efforts, our scientific-based and goal-oriented approach, which requires us to meet certain criteria that only a hand full of companies currently meet, continues to facilitate real change both at home and around the world.”
Mr. Maserang, continued, “We’re proud to say that for second consecutive year, we were listed on the Carbon Disclosure Project’s (CDP) Supplier Engagement Leaderboard and recognized as one of the best companies for our Supplier Engagement Rating (SER), indicating our commitment to collaborate with our suppliers on climate action.”
Farmer Brothers’ full Sustainability and Direct Trade Impact Reports can be viewed here: https://www.farmerbros.com/media/2021-sustainability-report.pdf.