International waste-to-product company Renewi plc (LSE: RWI) has started supplying recycled plastics to produce new Philips Senseo Original line coffee machines.
Renewi’s electrical and electronic recycling subsidiary, Coolrec supplies recycled plastics from old or defective Philips appliances to the manufacturer of the new Phillips Senseo Original line, which enables the new coffee machines to be made from over 30% recycled plastics.
Old or defective appliances largely consists of valuable materials. By using innovative techniques, Coolrec is able to recycle these specific secondary raw materials so that they can be reused in the manufacture of new products.
The plastics are recycled from Philips vacuum cleaners into secondary raw materials, which are then given a new life in the production of the new line of Senseo coffee machines.
The plastics are used for the black bottom plate of the Senseo Original, as this does not come into contact with the drink. The plastics are heat resistant, have no odour and are not visibly different to those made from virgin materials.
Coolrec is specialised in processing electrical and electronic products into high-quality secondary raw material. Philips has previously worked with Coolrec to introduce recycled plastics in new products, such as a vacuum cleaner made from 36% recycled plastics.
Through waste-to-product partnerships such as this, Renewi is helping to protect the world from pollution, conserve finite resources and enable its partners to achieve their sustainability goals.
Renewi, created in 2017 by the merger of Shanks Group plc and Van Gansewinkel Groep B.V., is a leading waste-to-product business ideally positioned to be part of the solution to some of the main environmental problems facing society today: reducing waste, avoiding pollution, and preventing the unnecessary use of finite natural resources.
The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE250 index. With over 8,000 employees in Europe and North America, Renewi has deep expertise and an extensive breadth of waste management products and services.
The company transforms a wide range of used materials into useful products and raw materials for our customers, like recycled paper, metal, plastic and glass, woodchips, compost, energy, fuel, and other products.
Their team is committed and passionate about the following mission: waste no more. Renewi operates across five divisions:
- Netherlands Commercial – Collecting, sorting, treating and recycling commercial and household waste in the Netherlands
- Belgium Commercial – Collecting, sorting, treating and recycling commercial and household waste in Belgium
- Hazardous Waste – Treating soil, water and packed chemical waste at our flagship ATM facility and conducting specialist industrial cleaning in the Netherlands
- Monostreams – Managing a range of waste streams which focus on specific end markets such as glass, electronic goods, organics and minerals in Europe
- Municipal – Operating long-term waste management contracts with local authorities in the UK and Canada
For more information: www.renewiplc.com